It’s every homeowner’s nightmare — losing your home to foreclosure. But it does not have to happen. With a strong advocate on your side, it may be possible to keep your home and even get a lower mortgage payment.
Many people wait too long before getting legal help. They delay in the hope that they can turn their financial situation around. If you are behind on your mortgage payments or are having trouble making your monthly payments, you need to take action now. The sooner you call us, the quicker we can start working to save your home. Get help today to assert your rights in these difficult times.
Asserting your rights will not only give you the chance to save your home; it may also increase the amount of time that you have in your home.
Consider these rights that homeowners have during foreclosure:
•You have the right to be notified of the foreclosure. Lenders must give you written notice that they plan to foreclose on your home.
•You have the right to stop foreclosure by paying off all of the past due amounts you owe on your home mortgage.
• You have the right to discuss the foreclosure with your mortgage company. If you are unable to pay what you owe on the house, you may be able to negotiate alternative payment options (a loan workout/loan modification).
• You may be able to privately sell your home to pay back mortgage debt. However, selling your home may not discharge the remaining debt you owe on the home (if it sells for less than you need to pay back the loans).
• You have a right to contest the foreclosure process. Did the mortgage company properly notify you? Is there evidence of predatory lending?
• If your home is sold, you have a right to any money that comes of the sale that is not necessary to pay back your mortgages and late fees.
• You have a right to hire an attorney. Sometimes, the best defense against foreclosure is a Miami foreclosure attorney.
We have been successful in defending many foreclosure cases when given an opportunity to develop a plan to properly defend the foreclosure.
If you are on the brink of foreclosure, need a real estate attorney, or just need to assess your legal rights, please contact our office today.